Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Chef Lia Bardeen Drops By To Chat

Us: What is your favorite dish to cook?
Lia: It entirely depends on the situation.

Us: What is the one dish you hated the most as a child but your parents insisted you eat?
Lia: I pretty much loved everything. However, I never warmed up to liver and onions.


Us: Tell us a bit about yourself. What were your high school years like? First crush? First kiss? Any embarrassing fashions you followed or hair styles you regret?
Lia: I was kind of a nerd in high school. I always loved school and classes, so I did a good job. But my hair was always changing - I loved dyeing it and cutting it in crazy ways. I shaved my head when I was a junior and pierced my nose. I look much more traditional now then I did in high school or college.

Us: What made you decide to try out for Top Chef?
Lia: I wanted to try something new and challenge myself.

Us: What were the other chefs like?
Lia: All the contestants are great. Everyone has their own story and experience, and it was fun to talk about food together. Maybe some people found it cheesy or were only there to win, but I'm happy that the experience was rewarding in a variety of ways.

Us: Did you watch season 1 or 2? If so, your thoughts please.
Lia: I only really watched the last two thirds of season two but I got really into it. It's so fun to see people making things - my favorite reality show is project runway. Top Chef makes you think about being creative and not being afraid to try something even if you know you might fail.

Us: What is your most embarrassing culinary moment?
Lia: I once dropped a full pan of hot potato gratin on the floor of the walk in right before the service I needed it for. That may have been more stressful than embarrassing, though.

Us: What is your favorite:
Movie: House of Yes
CD: totally mood related - although it's almost never the wrong time for Dolly Parton.
Guilty pleasure: ice cream

Us: What do you do for fun?
Lia: I love going to movies - I think it may be verging on addiction. And eating out. Both rough activities for a cook's salary.

Us: Anything you'd like to say to the TC faithful?
Lia: Well, I just saw the first episode yesterday and I think it was really fun and entertaining. I really hope all the viewers enjoy this season as much as they have the last two - I think it's going to be really great. and I hope they like my food!!

Us: Last question and the silliest by far, If you could be anyone for a day,> who would it be and why?
Lia: I don't know...

Thanks Chef Lia for taking the time to drop by the kitchen. We wish you all the best.

Click HERE to return to BTC main page.